Monday, February 10, 2014

Week 30: You know you're a missionary when... AND Week 31: "And on the seventh day..."

Week 30: You know you're a missionary when 




This week was FULL of wonderful things that happened.
1. Our zone full of missionaries played capture the flag with nerf guns. It was the funniest thing I've seen in a long time. Sister Holladay (my last companion) and I sat and watched. Seriously, it should be an Olympic sport. Maybe I'd actually watch the Olympics then.
2. RICHARD PRAYED. Hallelujah! Seriously, when we left the house, I jumped so stinking high I'm surprised I didn't rip my skirt.
3. We found out why one of our investigators hasn't been coming to church--AFTER FOUR MONTHS OF TEACHING HER. I thought I was going to cry because I was so happy after we left.
4. We helped a sister in the ward clean her house and I was SO happy that someone actually let us serve them. Also, I got to wear sweat pants, so I was really content.
5. Sister Marshall and I spent a couple hours on Friday helping a family in the ward paint their newly finished basement. We had a blast. (I LOVE PAINTING)
6. We didn't have to tract on Sunday because no one cancelled our appointments! Oh yeah!

We had a lot of awesome things that happened this week. It was fantastic. However, we did have some stressful times this week because of the weather. On both Friday and Saturday, we received messages from the assistants to President Toombs (our mission president) that we were not allowed to drive our cars because of the roads. Luckily, I had handwarmers and a heavy coat and boots. But, the "driving ban" was lifted before we had to leave. (Fridays are our days to plan, so we were home until 3 and the ban was lifted at 2! oh yes. It was perfect.)

On Tuesday, we had a service project with about 5 other sets of elders. This service project consisted of making soup and cookie mixes, and tying bows. Luckily, we had some very skilled bow-tie-rs (bow-tyers?). Mom, I have you to thank for that. It was great to see the elders tying bowes. It was hilarious actually.
On Wednesday, we went to the old folks home to play bingo and Berta (my adopted German g-ma) was there like always, Well, she actually won Bingo! And I got so excited! I said, "Berta! You won Bingo! You finally won!" She looked at me and said sternly, "Control yourself!" Man, I still am laughing about it! Later, Berta was blowing her nose because she had a cold and well, she set her used tissue on the table, looked around, and used her elbow to push her tissue off the table. I looked under the table and there were several other used tissues under there on the ground, along with her candy wrapper!! It was hilarious! I thought I would die because she just looked at me and put her index finger to her mouth to shush me. Man. I love old people.

Then on Friday, while we were planning it was rather chilly because of all of the snow, so we wanted to used the gas fireplace to heat up the house. Well, I had never used a gas fireplace before, nor lit a pilot light (neither had Sister Marshall), so we called the woman that we are living with and she told us what to do. I lit the pilot light and Sister Marshall turned the gas up--still no fire. So I blow on it lightly--still nothing. Well, for some reason, my brain says, "Try lighting one of the ceramic logs." I did that and no stinking fire! I move the lighter back a litter farther and light it and whoooosh! The log lit up and it scared me silly, but we weren't hurt and the fire wasn't even that big. However, it was hilarious.

Back to spiritual matters. We tracted into this man named Thomas and he was the SWEETEST guy. So maybe I say that about everyone who talks to us, but still, this guy is like Stake President sweet. We said a prayer over his home for peace and safety.

We also met with with a couple people that we haven't met with before this week. Both of these members of the ward haven't been active in years and when we met with each of them, it was so interesting to see that their testimonies of the gospel are still so strong. They have different stories--one of them is a mother of two that hasn't been to church in so long because of life and then the other is an older gentleman in his sixties that isn't married and he doesn't have any children. He hasn't been active in church because of his work schedule and because he needs to just get back into the habit.
I love this gospel so much. It doesn't matter if we've been in the church for two weeks or if our families have been in the church since 1830. We all can have powerful testimonies of the Savior and His Atonement. All we need to do is what He has commanded us to do: have faith, repent, be baptized, receive the gift of the Holy Ghost, and endure to the end--keep holding on, keep doing what He has asked.

I love you all so so much. I know that our Heavenly Father loves you, too. I have never loved harder than I have out here in Denver. These people that I meet mean so much to me. It's the strangest experience to go into a home where you have NEVER ever met these people and to leave feeling as if you have known them forever and all you want is for them to be married in the temple. It's incredible to be on the Lord's errand. I love this work!

You are in my prayers!
Love,
Sister Hardy



Elder Rampton (who came out with me), Elder Hansen (who just finished being trained), Sister Marshall, and then myself. We make up the missionaries in the Thornton ward! Elder Hansen is getting transferred today and we will be getting another missionary.


Sister Mailau (on left) leaves today for her last area. She will be terribly missed. Sister Moore is on the right, and she photo-bombed (she has been in Malley ward, my first area).






The snow. Need I say more? This wasn't even the worst of it!







 This is me with Elder Neppach, who goes home today. He and Elder Guzman were my first zone leaders. God speed, Elder!



Last one. ....
The couple in the picture with us is our ward mission leader and his wife.
 He's a goof (if you didn't notice). Also, his wife is the coolest. Love them.



 







Week 31: "And on the seventh day..."

There are these two boys in the ward named Orion and Briggs. Cute names, right? Anyways, one of them came home from church and said that in Primary they learned about the creation of the universe. Well, when Orion got to the seventh day, he said, "And on the seventh day, God created technology!" Isn't that hilarious?! His parents had to inform him that God actually rested on the seventh day. How cute!

This past week was absolutely incredible! Can I just say that miracles REALLY do happen?
Sister Marshall and I have been praying for three things this week:
1. to get new investigators
2. to set someone with a baptismal date
3. to teach over twenty lessons

The answer to your question is yes. ALL FLIPPIN' THREE OF THESE THINGS HAPPENED. Hallelujah!

Among many miracles, we had some fun doing service with the senior population. Bingo and crafts again! It was awesome! This time though, Jennifer (the woman in charge of activities) had some jazz music on and Rhoda and I danced. It was awesome. We may or may not have had a dance off with Sister Marshall and her partner. (Rhoda and I won though). And before that Jennifer read off some trivia questions and this one woman was just shouting out random answers. It was HILARIOUS! She had one resident, Tilly, crying she was laughing so hard! (I really was worried that Tilly was going to pass out or hurt herself--she's in her 80s I think.)

After we did some service, we went to contact referrals and we met a man named Richie and he let us in! Woot. In the door--check! He asked us what we believe. Restoration lesson--check! Oh and did I tell you that he is in training to become a MINISTER?! Yes. He knows the Bible backwards, forwards, inside out, you name it! We set up a time to meet with him and the best part about all of this was that our mission president, President Toombs, came with us! We picked up Richie and his wife (Rachel) as new investigators! First prayer answered.

Second miracle or prayer answered, we went to Lisa and Richard's and retaught the Restoration--to clarify that Lisa understood. AND we invited her to be baptized and after resolving her concerns and teaching simply and clearly, she committed to baptism! Boom. Heavenly Father listens.

The third miracle this week was that on Saturday, we hit over twenty lessons! That NEVER HAPPENS HERE. AND the Elders numbers were high, too!


Side miracle: Sister Marshall and I were driving around trying to contact someone, when I saw a garage door open. I thought, "Okay. If there is someone in the garage, we'll stop the car and go talk to them." There wasn't anyone in the garage and so I kept driving. Well, that house stayed in my mind and on Friday we had some free time, so we went back to the house. We knocked on the door and a man named John answers the door. His
 

wife is in the back and he invites us in out of the cold. We sit and he asks question after question. He wasn't bashing, but he trying to argue and we weren't biting. BUT. We were able to clear up a LOT of misconceptions he had about the church. Once he even said, "Well my neighbor says that you Mormons believe..." I smiled inside because the best way to find out what Mormons believe is from a Mormon, preferably an active one.

I love you all and I know that Jesus does, too!
Love,
Sister Hardy


So I only took one picture this week. My studies for the past few days have involved me, a blanket, and my new best friend "Jesus the Christ" by James E. Talmage. I CAN'T PUT IT DOWN. Sister Forysth, the woman we live with, asked me if I fall asleep reading it. Unfortunately, I haven't been falling asleep while reading that, but when I pick up the Book of Mormon after, that's when I become a little sleepy.



No comments:

Post a Comment