Thursday, December 5, 2013

Week 21: "Lady Elders"

This week was incredible!
On Tuesday, we met Glenn, an eighty-four year old less active man, who is a Korean War veteran...I think, who also takes in homeless young kids. He is the cutest old man, EVER! Oh my gosh, he is so adorable! We met him and found out that he was robbed and that he now only has twenty six cents left to his name. BUT. Because the ward here is AMAZING, we were able to gather food from different families in the ward to give Glenn and the people in his home. It was wonderful. Glenn called us his angels--it was ADORABLE and he cried when we brought over food for him. And! Drum roll please! Lee, his "grandson," has been looking for a church to go to for some time and now we are teaching him!
Oh, and the best part is that they BOTH came to church yesterday! I prayed so hard that they would and they did!! Glenn even got up and bore his testimony during church. It was cute.

We also tried to go see Randy with a young woman in the ward and I think one of Randy's neighbors thought we were casing the neighborhood. They pulled up to our car and I think they wrote down our license plate number because they were behind our car for a good 30 seconds. Anyways, luckily the police weren't called. I mean what would they say? "There are some young girls going around dressed as Mormon missionaries casing the neighborhood."

On Wednesday, we had a lesson with a family in our ward and Brother F called our mission president to get permission for us to hold his little girl Madeline. IT WAS AWESOME. President Toombs said yes and I just wanted to hold that little girl forever! She is so adorable! Not getting to hold babies is really difficult--probably the hardest rule to follow.

Thanksgiving was great! We got to have lunch with a family in the ward and we also had appointments lined up throughout the day so that we wouldn't have to worry about trying to tract or find less actives. We went and visited the ward mission leader and his family Thanksgiving night, and that was fun. Their extended family was there and before we left, we left with a prayer and our ward mission leader's father said, "Make sure to bless the Sisters in the prayer." I'll admit, I got teary eyed--it means so much to me when people extend loving arms to us. It makes missionary work so much more meaningful when I know that someone appreciates our service. That may sound completely selfish, but it helps me work that much harder knowing someone is relying on me.

On Saturday night, we had a zone meeting to start our fasts together. We fasted for everyone in our zone and their missionary concerns. I think that was one of the hardest fasts I've ever had. The adversary really didn't want us to fast for all of the other work that is going on in this area. But, Sister Holladay and I held strong! It was incredible the strength that I felt after the fast.

The icing on the cake was that we had two investigators as church--Lee and then Linda, as well!! AND we had Glenn! AND the Elders had Raul there. Remember Raul? Oh yes. There is strength in fasting. Anyways, church was bliss to say the least.
My thoughts, when we sat with Linda, Lee, and Glenn, were "MIRACLES DO HAPPEN!" I was on Cloud 9 for the rest of the day. It was amazing.

Sister Holladay and I ended our week with a quality gospel conversation with a family in our ward. For our spiritual thought at dinner, we shared Doctrine and Covenants 122: 7-8. Read it--you won't regret it! And, the father was talking about how if adversity is for our benefit, then is it really all that bad? The answer is no. As I look at the hard times in my life, I remember when I leaned to the Savior and I can see the growth that I had. It's incredible! Those hard times turn into times where we can grow closer to the Lord and to our Heavenly Father.

I love you all so much. Remember what the Savior has done for you. He went through pain, suffering, and death, so that you might live. He lives!

Love,
Sister Hardy





No comments:

Post a Comment