Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Week 1



Hi Family!
Dear Family,
 
Holy cannoli! I have learned so so so so much while here at the Missionary Training Center. Seriously, this is the place to be. I LOVE it.  My companion is Sister Brooks and she is amazing! She has taught me so much.  She has a way with words that I wish I had. Not only that but she has taught me how to be more loving and accepting. This girl is the bees knees.  The other sisters in my district are Sister Falke and Sister Mata'Itusi. These sisters are incredible! They all have such strong testimonies.
We have four sisters and four elders in my district. Elder Flynn, Elder Wagner, Elder Albaugh, and Elder Loock.  Elder Loock is probably the funniest guy you'll meet. He's from a small town in Utah and has a little drawl.  One of the sisters asked at lunch what our biggest fears were to which Elder Loock responded, "I ain't scared a' nuttin'...except snakes."  What a guy! He is also our district leader. Anyways, I happen to be the oldest among the sisters and the elders in my district. I definitely feel like the mother goose.  I think the elders feel the same way because they seem to follow us whereever we go. I am not exaggerating by any means. 
Now let's get down to the nitty gritty. The first night we were here, we taught three investigators (Junichi, Carlo, and Daniel). As we listened to their stories, my heart felt for those men.  Daniel worries about his expecting wife and doesn't see how religion can help and Carlo mourns the death of his three day old son, Flauvio.  Flauvio wasn't baptized before he was born and according to Catholicism, if you are not baptized before you die you will be in a limbo state, in neither heaven nor hell.  He told us that he would do anything to know that Flauvio wasn't in limbo. How wonderful was it to teach Carlo about the gospel! We told Carlo that we believe children to be in a state of innocence until the age of eight--the age we believe a child can know the difference between right and wrong.  We let Carlo know that Flauvio is not suffering and that he is not in limbo, but rather he is in a state of happiness. My heart was full of joy as Carlo received this message.
After that experience teachinng, I have had a much stronger desire to serve God. In the Book of Mormon, we read, "And this is my glory, that perhaps I may be an instrument in hands of God to bring some soul to repentance; and this is my joy" (Alma 29:9).  That is my glory that I may be an instrument in the Lord's hands! That is why I am here serving a mission--I want others to experience the joy that I have felt!
Well I've only been here two days, but I have learned so much.
I love this gospel. I know Jesus Christ is my Savior. I have felt his love for me and now as a missionary I feel the love he has for others because I have been able to feel so much love for those I have taught. I know this is the Lord's work and if you desire happiness, you must only look for Jesus Christ and you will find him.I have a few shout-outs to make! Sister Bjorling--thank you so much for your gift! It meant so much to me and my family! Brother and Sister Pitts, Thank you for your gift!! I can't listen to it here at the MTC, but when I get in the field I plan to be jamming out to "The Work." And finally, Brother and Sister Hull, thank you both for your contribution to my mission! You were an answer to a prayer.
 
I love you all! I am praying for you and I know that the Lord is watching over you. (Mother, please stop crying. :D)
 
Love,
Sister Hardy
 
p.s. My P-days are Fridays until July 8th.
 





No comments:

Post a Comment