Thursday, July 18, 2013

Time for the Mission Field (take II)

My first area is Thorton and Northglenn! My trainer is Sister Collette Knowlton! Sister Knowlton and I were in Women's Chorus together. Weird, right? She sang Soprano II and I sang Alto II, so we didn't get to talk much, but crazy stuff! We live with a single woman in her home. She set up a cute bedroom for us which has some sweet inspirational quotes.
Yesterday, we flew into Denver and met our mission president (President Toombs) and his wife. They are wonderful. I heard from one of the missionaries that President Toombs prays for EACH of the missionaries in this mission EVERY day. He truly is called of God. So I'm in a district with six other missionaries and two of those other missionaries are greenies, just like me! (Greeny means new missionaries in the field--so that's me!) 
My first night in the mission field was great! The second door that we knocked (first door that answered!) got shut in our face, but we kept smiling! BUT we spoke with a boy, Nick, and an older gentleman, Irvine. When Sister Knowlton asked if we could come back and speak to him, he said yes! We gave him a Book of Mormon and we have an appointment with him tonight! I'll let you know how that goes. 
We spoke with Irvine for a few minutes and we gave him a Book of Mormon and when we challenged him to read it, he responded with,"Any religious book is a good read!" We plan on visiting with him in a couple of weeks after he gets back from California. 
This morning we visited with a family, Dave and Tammie (I thought of you, Mom!), and Melissa (their daughter?) and Dylan (Melissa's son). Dave actually served a mission and is now less active. Tammie and Melissa are less active, too. 
We met with them and talked with them about the Restoration. When we told them about the Restoration of the Gospel and the first vision, Sister Knowlton asked Melissa if she believed that it was possible for someone such as Joseph Smith to see what he saw, or rather who he saw. Melissa definitely believed that it was possible. At the end of the lesson, Sister Knowlton asked Dave if he would pray and Dave asked Tammie and Tammie refused, so Dave asked Melissa and she said she would pray! How incredible, right! Anyways, she said a sweet and simple prayer, but I know she was touched. When we said goodbye to the family, there were tears in Melissa's eyes. She knows that this gospel is true. 
Well that's all I have about the last 24 hours being in the field! BUT. While at the MTC on the main campus, I saw Sister Alyssa Flake, Sister McKenna Brady, and Sister Paesha Tuttle! How cool, right? It was pretty exciting. I also got to use my french while speaking to a french speaking Sister or should I say Soeur? I also met Elder Johnson from Alaska (he knows the Jacobson family!). And among all this, I got sick and lost my voice! It was actually pretty funny. My voice would crack at weird places in my sentences, so eventually I just started whispering. I don't know what threw people off more my squeaky voice or my lack of one. However, because of this, I was able to ask the Elders in my district to give me a blessing. How lucky are we to have the priesthood?! I feel much better after that blessing and I can speak normally now! Woot! However my singing voice is completely shot. 
Francis of Assisi said, "Preach the gospel and, if necessary, use words."  Preach the gospel by your example, by the way you live your lives, by the way you live happily. So many people are wondering how can find happiness--just like my family and I were--and some are searching, but they don't know what they are searching for. Help them find it. 
Pray for me and know that I pray for you. Remember, "If ye have desires to serve God ye are called to the work" (Doctrine and Covenants 4:3). 
I love you all. I'll tell you more about Colorado when I have some more adventures. 

The first picture is of me and my last night with BYU Mint Ice Cream--we're in love, just so you know. The second is of my district eating said ice cream before we said goodbye. The third picture is of me and Elder Wagner--who just so happens to be an Avatar: The Last Airbender fan!! So here we are doing our moves. And the last picture is of a temporary trio we had with Hermana Durphee (Sister Durphee, who is from Missouri, and a Spanish speaking missionary), Sister Brooks, and me. This picture was taken right before we met President and Sister Toombs! 




No comments:

Post a Comment